Articles In Review:

8th graders dissected clams with LST, Mrs. Rodriguez



Students will read articles and answer questions related to the articles. Students are welcomed to express their opinions openly and freely. All comments are moderated by Mrs. Singleton, Science Teacher.







WHAT IS A BLOG?

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

SCIENCE & CONTROVERSY - PERFECT TOGETHER!!!

The science of creating life is by far one of the most controversial topics of our lifetime. Science that "tampers" with LIFE often clashes with peoples' beliefs and values because it alters what many people feel was naturally and/or divinely created. Oftentimes, we have to "agree to disagree" on controversial topics such as cloning, genetic engineering, invitro fertilization and bionics to name a few.

8th grade students are reading "Man-Made Monsters" by Daniel Cohen and excerpts from Mary Shelley's book Frankenstein. Explain the quote from the "monster's perspective in Shelley's sometimes infamous story of Frankenstein.

QUOTE: What was I? Of my creation and creator I was absolutely ignorant, but I knew that I possessed no money, no friends, no kind of property. I was, besides, endued with a figure hideously deformed and loathsome; I was not even of the same nature as man. I was more agile than they and could subsist upon coarser diet; I bore the extremes of heat and cold with less injury to my frame; my stature far exceeded theirs. When I looked around I saw and heard of none like me. Was I, then, a monster, a blot upon the earth, from which all men fled and whom all men disowned?

o The monster in Ch. 13


Why is the monster questioning his "creation" or life?

Research the pros/cons of one of the aforementioned controversial topics IVF, cloning, genetic engineering, and bionics?

In your opinion, when does science cross the line of good to bad. Give examples

3 comments:

  1. I think that science does cross the line of good to bad. Most creations that scientists make are good for the world, but can have minor problems. One example is Frankenstein; he was supposed to help the world be a better place. In the end he had to be destroyed because he killed people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A monster, created by cadavers of humans. From my point of view, the monster, questions his “creation” or life because he is not wanted by any other human. He is not like any other human, he is hideous. Every person hates him because of his ability of killing and eating people. He destroyed many humans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Science – a word with many meanings. Science is used for a lot of good things that are absolutely life changing and can modify life as we know it. However, sometimes the scientists cross a line. They fiddle with life and even try to create new life. This is immoral and wrong to do. I think that scientist should just leave life alone and try to find cures for diseases instead of trying to clone people and/or trying to manipulate embryos. What would clones even do for us? In what way would they benefit us? There isn’t a straight forward answer for these questions. Therefore, I believe that’s when scientist crosses the line from good and bad – an example of this is the monster in Frankenstein.

    ReplyDelete